Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bronchitis say what?!



August 4, 2014

Hola hola hola hola hola hola hola!!

So basically tons happened last week and to be honest I don’t know where to start! Its nuts! I hope I make sense, but no promises because I’ve been sick the last few days. Like I had to rest pretty much most of Saturday and Sunday. I called the mission nurse (even though I didn’t want to, but the zone leaders, my district leader, and my companion made me) and she thinks I have bronchitis. So yeah that’s fun. My companion keeps telling me I need to lay of the cigarettes, but hey, it’s a struggle. 

So I’m going to start of with my favorite thing, as you all know by now...MIRACLES! Yep, I’m lucky enough to witness miracles ALL THE TIME. And this week was no exception. Tuesday night the Hermanas in Congreso 1 called us and told us that the cousins of their 2 recent converts that just got baptized the previous Sunday wanted to get baptized and they live in our area!! I was floored!! Then as we continue talking they tell me that it’s Malena!!!! Malena is our old investigator that is 9 years old and we haven’t been able to teach her because her mom didn’t want her to be baptized, but the hermanas told us that Fiorela (The mom) was way open to Malena being baptized! So then we go and try to find Malena and Fiorela at their house but they weren’t there, BUT Carmen (the grandma) was!! And she was an old investigator too!! We were able to teach her and she was super receptive again. (I mean we haven’t been able to find her in like a month.) Then we went on Friday to teach them (Fiorela still wasn’t there) but Carmen accepted a date to be baptized this coming week! It was such a spiritual awesome lesson! After that lesson Malena told me that after she gets baptized she wants me to be her godmother! Jaja!! It was so funny! Basically she just really loves me and I really love her! She is such a special 9 year old little girl! So Fiorela, Carmen, Malena, and Matias (He’s 6 years old) all went to church on Sunday!! So we tried to get permission again, but to actually baptize her this time, but it didn’t work out too well sadly. We’re going to talk about it better tomorrow with her. The whole thing is a super long story, but that’s the gist of it. I can’t even begin to describe just how great of a miracle it was that we were able to come in contact with them again. Oh, also, we took tons of pictures on Sunday with them all and Fiorela´s going to put the pics on FB (She’s going to add me I think), it was super fun. But don’t be surprised when I look horrific!!! En serio, the pics are rough! But hey, I’m sick, so what can ya expect?

So Friday, we were on divisions with the Hermana Entrenadores (STL). I was with Hermana Jensen from Utah. She is probably one of the greatest people ever. I seriously love and adore her so much. Like there is no doubt in my mind that we’re going to be super good friends after the mission. I was able to learn so much from her! Like how to be bolder and more direct with questions. It was great. She also was able to tell me a ton of my strengths that I really haven’t been able to see. I mean, when she started naming them I was super surprised! It’s so funny that others can see your strengths so well, but you never can. Interesting how that works. But I have also realized that we really do need to recognize our own strengths. Not to look at ourselves and think, wow I’m so great, but instead, when we recognize our strengths we can see how the Lord can use us as better instruments in His hands. That’s a huge thing for me as a missionary, but everyone needs to recognize that we are ALL instruments in His hands! He has given us our strengths to use them in His work and to serve His other children wherever we may be. So this is the commitment I’m extending to you all this week: ¿Se esforzarán a ver sus fortalezas esta semana? (Will you strive to see your strengths this week?)

On Friday President called us because he was in our area. His daughter just returned from her mission in Tennessee so she is here visiting her family before she goes back to BYU. So they were doing some touristy stuff (obviously that would be in our area jaja) and they were eating lunch in Burger King so he invited us, Congreso 1 and Juncal to come and meet them and meet his daughter in Burger King. Basically it was the coolest thing ever! I loved it!! It was so much fun! :) Also, it was hilarious seeing President in regular clothes jaja! 

Okay, one quick last thing. Spanish. I was recently thinking about my Spanish last week and I realized something. I’m not struggling that much with it. I mean sure, I don’t know how to say a lot of things still, and I can’t understand everything at all times, but I’m totally able to function here with my companion, the members, and the investigators with the Spanish that I do know. Yesterday a member that I’m super close with told me that he recently realized that my Spanish is super good. He said when I arrived I couldn’t say hardly anything jaja! And today I was talking to the Zone leaders and one told me he was super confused because he thought he was talking to my companion because I sounded like an Argentine...so that ROCKED!! Like President told me in my first interview, my struggles right now really aren’t with the language, it’s basically 100% with the investigators and trying to find them and get them to baptism because I KNOW how much this gospel can bless their lives! I’m not fluent by any means, but I am totally able to function and it’s truly another miracle! I can’t even tell you all how blessed I have been with my language! God is so good!

Well, I could go on and on about this last week but I should probably wrap it up! Love you lots all of you!!! Thank you for all your support! Espero que tengan una hermosa semana!! Les Amo! Remember, when you love the way the Savior does, miracles happen!! And of course, Stay Anxiously Engaged!! :)   

xoxo,
Hermana Van

PS Shout out to my cuz Bradley James!! I can’t believe you are already home!!! Wish I could have been there for the big day!! Thanks for your incredible example!!! :) Cuidáte y sigue con el mismo Espíritu de la misión!

No comments:

Post a Comment