Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It Must Be Sinking In....



May 19, 2014
¡Hola Hola Hola!!

How are y’all doing mis queridos? I hope fantastic! :) So let’s just start off with why the subject of this letter is what it is. I believe this Spanish must be sinking in because a couple nights last week I slept talked in SPANISH! I’m a big sleep talker, so the fact that it is now starting to be in Spanish is wonderful. I’m absolutely stoked. Hna. Centeno told me that one night I was testifying in Spanish, and guess what she told me? She told me that my testimony when I was sleep talking was better than it is when I’m awake! (She really likes to tease me jaja) But seriously, apparently I think way too hard about it when I’m in the lesson. I should really always let my subconscious just take over. Ya  know, just take a little nap right when it’s my turn to bear my testimony in the lesson. That’ll solve everything. 

Let me tell you, I have never been tried so hard in diligence in my life. The Lord really is testing me to see if I am dedicated to Him and His work. And boy is it hard. In the 4 Sundays I have been here we haven’t had a single investigator come to church! I mean, that’s basically a whole month. And the thing is, we are trying so hard and doing everything we feel like we can. We are teaching the gospel like crazy, but we’re not finding anyone that is progressing and coming to church. We even found some really awesome investigators last week. Like really awesome, I was determined they would come to church and everything and then Sunday came and we went to find them to take them to church and NADA! Ugh it’s so hard. But this is just an opportunity to work even harder, be even more diligent, and figure out the best ways to find the elegidos (chosen investigators). 

My companion in the MTC used to say something that I would like to share because it is applies super well to my circumstances at the moment. The word in Spanish for "to hope" is "esperar". "Esperar" also means "to wait". Think about that for a moment....When we hope for something we also must wait or be willing to wait. Hoping and waiting go hand in hand. So right now I am hoping with all my heart to learn Spanish and communicate with these incredible people, and I am also hoping to find golden investigators. But in order for these things to happen I must also be willing to wait - to be patient and trust in the timing of the Lord. Entonces, think about what you are hoping for most in your life right now, and then think about if you are also willing to wait and trust in the timing of the Lord. If you aren’t, then pray for the ability to wait for that which you hope for. Believe me, that is something I always have to pray for. 

Well folks, I finally ate something straight up disgusting. All the food I have had so far has been really great, and I haven’t had a problem adjusting to it (just the portions...oy). But, last P-Day we were eating at a restaurant and my companion made me eat Mondonga. It’s a part of the experience I was told. What is mondonga you ask? Cow stomach. The worst part of it is the texture. You feel like you’re chomping on rubber. I took two chews and swallowed it immediately. For sure the grossest thing I have had here. BLEH!

So there are two major soccer teams here in Argentina. River and Boca. Yesterday, River won the championship (not against Boca) and oh my gosh the streets were nuts! Everybody was singing and chanting and marching and waving their jerseys and flags. The cars in the street were honking like none other and the people were all hanging out of their cars cheering. Oh I wish I could have taken a picture and video. It’s something you just have to see. Basically it was one of the greatest sights I’ve ever seen. I was cracking up the entire time! These people are fanatics! And apparently there are even more Boca fans in the area I’m in, so I can’t imagine what it would have been like if it had been Boca.    

Well, I should probably wrap up this letter. I think that’s just about everything for this week. Life in Argentina is hard, but it is great. I love the people and the culture so much. How blessed am I to get to serve them! Remember, when we love the way the Christ does, miracles happen. And of course, Stay Anxiously Engaged! :)

xoxo,
Hermana Van Wagoner

No comments:

Post a Comment