Thursday, April 3, 2014

Star Struck



April 2, 2014

Hola Todos!!

Wow, what a week it has been. Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday were pretty rough. I mean they were great in some ways, but they brought many challenges. Our current investigator we are teaching (He's really just one of our teachers) has been super challenging. After every lesson it just doesn't seem good enough and we keep trying different things, but nothing is working. I feel as though I keep being hit by a "humble hammer". After every lesson, I realize how incapable I am without the help of the Lord. And after every lesson I am learning what not to do. Yeah, that's it. Last week was full of learning a whole lot of what not to dos. Thus, I keep becoming more and more humble and more and more dependent on the Lord. I know as the Lord humbles me it is purely because He loves me and knows the potential I have. I have to keep that perspective or else I get really disheartened, and being and staying disheartened is not what this work is about. So, yeah, I've learned lots this past week.

This week was also hard because one of our dear Hermanas went home on Friday. Hna. Lange's dad died last September and coming to the MTC has helped her see how many unresolved feelings she had about it. She came to realize she had never grieved properly. So she went home to be with her family and get the help she needs. She has deferred for 6 months. I love her and miss her SO much, but I feel a lot of peace about the whole situation. Her love and dedication inspires me. She has taught me so much in the short time she was here. 

So Hna. Lange was the STL of our district, and because she went home and because we are to the half way mark at the MTC, I have been made the STL in our district. Hna. Lange sure has left some big shoes to fill, but I know that this calling will help me to love and serve the hermanas even more than I already do. Hna. Weitl is now companions with me and Hna. Ridgway, so we're in a trio and its pretty fun. 

Okay, so Sunday just straight up ROCKED! First it started with fast and testimony meeting. We all had the opportunity to bear our testimonies in Spanish. Because of our lack of experience with the Spanish language, we all bore very simple, straight forward testimonies. The spirit that was present during this meeting was incredible. Sometimes we think our testimonies need to be super elaborate to bring the spirit, but that is not the case. Testifying of simple truths is how the spirit is brought. Even when the language is rough and imperfect. This was one of the most spiritual testimony meetings I have been apart of. The spirit is a universal language.

So then came devotional. And guess who spoke? You're going to love this, mom. Richard Elliot, the head MoTab organist. So as we were singing the prelude songs, I looked up to see who was speaking and I saw Richard Elliot sitting on the stand. Then, I see who is sitting next to him, where the speaker's wife usually sits. It was a young man and I was like what the heck? Then it dawned on me. DAVID ARCHULETA was sitting next to Richard Elliot...at the MTC. Now I like David Archuleta, but I'm not a fanatic. Well, when I saw him up there, that all changed. I was fangirling SO bad. I mean I was hitting my companions and everything. So then as I was doing this I was looking at David Archuleta, and he totally started smiling and laughing (we were like 8 rows back in the center). Yeah, we've come to a consensus that he totally saw me freaking out. It was the best. So Richard Elliot played a few organ songs like nobody's business and then David Aruchuleta sang a few hymns. They both shared their testimonies and stories about their missions. It was incredible. My favorite song Richard Elliot played was "Go Tell It on the Mount" because it was pretty much COMPLETELY with his feet. I have never seen anything like it! My favorite song David Archuleta sang was "Come Come Ye Saints" because he sang the second verse in Spanish and oh my gosh, I can't tell you how much I LOVE this language. It is beautiful!! So yeah, devotional ROCKED on Sunday. I just loved everything about it. I firmly believe music communicates to the soul what words cannot. 

My companions and I have picked up a couple investigators on the side this week (it's kinda confusing, but these investigators are not given to us by our teachers, we sorta just found them, like real missionaries). The lessons with these investigators are always SO spiritual. I have so much love for them within seconds of being with them. It makes me so excited to go out and teach the people of Argentina. I love being a missionary. Everyday, there is something that reminds me exactly why I am here. This gospel is beautiful, but more importantly this gospel is true. I know it with my whole being.

Well, it's time for me to be done for this week. I love and appreciate you all so much. I feel your love and prayers constantly. Remember, miracles occur when we love as the Savior does. And of course, Stay Anxiously Engaged!

xoxo,
Hermana Van Wagoner 

P.S. Today, I told the MTC Presidency "y'all be good now". Yeah, they love me and think I'm great.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment