Thursday, April 10, 2014

Conferencia General...Que Bonita!



April 9, 2014

Buenos Dias!
        What a fabulous week it has been!! General Conference was such a great break from the every day grind of the MTC. It was so good to listen to the Prophet and Apostles teach the things we as missionaries are supposed to teach, but rather so simply and beautiful. Teaching simply is not easy, and the more I'm here, the more I see that simple teaching will come with deep, intimate knowledge and understanding of the Doctrine. It is clear in their simple teachings that the General Authorities KNOW this Doctrine. 
        So for General Conference we went up to main campus both days and stayed there and watched it pretty much all day. It was fun because I got to see a lot of my friends that are up at main campus. Saturday General Conference was very enlightening for me. It was so weird because while I am super focused on my mission and what I'm doing now, I felt like I received a lot of revelation about what I want to do after my mission. One thing I realized was something I had been thinking about a lot while I've been here. I see the organ played here a lot, with devotionals and all, and every time I watch people play I always think to myself "Wow, that would be so cool to know how to play." Well I had the same thoughts as I was watching conference and it hit me. I need to learn how to play the organ when I get home. I don't know why, but I'm really excited to learn and take on that challenge. I bet you're happy about that one, Mom. :) jaja!
        I also, received a lot of revelation about what kind of wife and mother I want to be. I thought that was really interesting because that is not where I'm at in my life right now. But I completely see how this mission is going to be helping me with that and other things for the rest of my life. Elder Cook's talk got me thinking A LOT about family history and how important it is. I've always been intimidated to do family history because it seems so hard, but I really want to start doing family history when I get back also. So, again, I'm excited for that.
        Saturday night we watched the General Women's Meeting while the Elders attended the Priesthood session. We didn't get to watch it the previous Saturday for this very reason. And oh my goodness I just LOVED it!! It was marvelous! What I loved most about it was the sweet and TENDER spirit that was there. I felt like you could feel the spirit of the Women of the Church, and how wonderful and powerful that was. I just loved it. So so great! :)
        Sunday Morning Session was MY session. Jaja. I say MY session because I felt as though every single one of those talks was meant for me and my mission and future investigators. I learned so much. I wish I could write everything I learned, unfortunately there isn't time for that. :( I loved President Uchtdorf's ATTITUDE of gratitude talk. It’s not about counting your blessings in the happy moments, its about having a consistent attitude of gratitude even in those circumstances you may not be content in. There was more I liked in that talk, but I forgot my notes from conference...oops. Elder Ballard's message was perfect for missionaries! Follow up, I mean that's constantly what we're doing here in the mission field?? Another fantastic talk I related to sooo well was Elder Bednar's. As missionaries we are often required to take on some pretty heavy loads. But it is those loads that help us become the missionaries and people we are meant to be. It is those loads that bring us closer to our Savior. Those loads are hard, but we don't have to carry them by ourselves. Those loads keep us moving forward IF WE LET THEM. Otherwise we could just stay put, never TRYING to move forward. I could go on and on and on about all these talks, so its probably best if I leave it at this. Sunday Morning was my favorite session; however I honestly learned and grew so much throughout every single session. What a beautiful thing it is to watch conference through the eyes of a missionary. It really changes it. 
        Okay, so if I haven't said this yet, I will say it now. I am here at the MTC at the PERFECT time. I mean, we got David Archuleta, General Conference, Easter- which means a general authority will be speaking to us, awesome weather, not too crowded, and now this: a VOCAL POINT devotional! Oh my heart, I LOVE Vocal Point! Sunday night they came and performed for us for devo since we had be listening to talks all day. Oh my goodness, if I didn't say it enough last week, then let me say it again. I love music!! The spirit testified to me multiple times throughout the program that being on a mission is EXACTLY where I need to be right now, no matter how hard some days are. The songs they sang were absolutely perfect, and some of my absolute favorite from their hymn album. Couples were  Nearer, My God, To Thee, and I Need Thee Every Hour. Those are two of my favorite hymns of all time. They bring me so much peace, it's incredible. The funny thing is, is that as we sing hymns all day every day, they pretty much are all slowly becoming my favorite. #missionaryprobs
        Oh quick fun side note. I met a sister on Saturday who is from Germany and guess what? She knows Shad! He served in her ward! How cool is that?? Well, I'm kind of a ditz and didn't ask her name, but she's going to St. George, UT, so maybe I'll see her again before she leaves and can ask her. That would be cool. But yeah, I just thought I'd share that fun fact.
        Well, it looks as if this is the end of another email for another week. It's crazy to think that in just 12 days, one more p-day, I will be off to Argentina! I have never been more nervous and excited at the same time! Ah!! Well I love you all more than you could ever know! Miracles happen when we love the way Christ does. President Monson talked all about having Christ's love for others in his Sunday Morning talk. Go reread it! :) And remember, Stay Anxiously Engaged!! :)

xoxo,
Hermana Van Wagoner

No comments:

Post a Comment